Pages

viernes, 21 de octubre de 2016

You are invited to visit

"My Intimate Maps": Mapping the Southwest

Visit the show until November 18, 2016, Monday-Friday: 9-5 pm

Reception October, Friday 21, 2016, from 5 to 7 pm.


"Blue Waters", 2014, mixed media on canvas 60x75cm.


"Snow Packs", 2015, mixed media on canvas 60x75cm. Photo: Jose Miguel Ayala, 2016

Rio Grande, mix media on canvas, 180 cm x 90 cm, 2016. Photo credits: Gladys Valentin 2016.
Art Gallery at the University of New Mexico, main campus.

608 Buena Vista Dr. NE. (corner of Roma and Buena Vista), Bldg. 20A. Albuqeurque New Mexico, 87131
Tel: 505 277 5428, information: akscherr@unm.edu

Click for directions    Parking instructions


My current interest is to complicate my personal interpretation and representation of the places where I inhabit. I have been collecting soil, sand, and volcanic ashes from all the places I have visited, and I use them as pigments to construct maps of the space that surrounds me. This time, my topic is the Southwest. I am mapping the Land of Enchantment, and I find it problematic. Water issues and desertification are my main concerns. I seek to represent the dryness of the place with the local raw materials that I have found during my long hikes and bicycle rides around New Mexico. I am using framed canvas to convey personal and intimate maps of the Southwest. I take advantage of the different colors and textures of the sand and soil from those such places and to create complicated layers of raw materials that represent river banks, mountains, dunes, bodies of water, and human settlements.

No hay comentarios: